Thread: Introduction
View Single Post
Old 07-03-2012, 12:49 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Introduction

Hi, my name is Dave. I'm 61 years old and have just been diagnosed with myasthenia gravis. I've had the symptoms since I was 5 years old but only now did someone (my ophthalmologist) put 2 and 2 together and refer me to a neurologist. The neurologist diagnosed me after a thorough exam in his office and listening to my history. I am scheduled for a battery of tests later this month.

It was so odd. I'm a diabetic. My doctor wanted me to go have an eye exam. I went and the ophthalmologist kept asking me questions like "Do you have trouble breathing?" and I couldn't figure out what they had to do with my eyes. My eyes had no diabetic damage at all but he asked me if I had ever been tested for myasthenia gravis. I didn't even know what that was. He also said I had cataracts. He suspected myasthenia because I have had very strong prisms in my lenses for over 30 years and I have a drooping eyelid and I kind of waddle when I walk.

He removed my cataracts and corrected my vision to 20/20 in both eyes and referred me to my neurologist. So a routine diabetic eye exam led to some very major changes in my life.

I have had lots of problems with any kind of physical activity all my life. It is sure great to know that there is a genuine cause here besides "you're lazy!"

I start medication around the middle of the month. The doctor said he didn't want to start me on it until after the tests as it would cause false negatives.

I have a lot to learn and will need all the support I can get!

Thanks for listening.
uncledave is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote