View Single Post
Old 07-04-2012, 12:33 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Smith View Post
Whether it should or shouldn't isn't the issue. Without informing any of your current doctors of your intent -- your PCP in particular -- it could be construed that way, and it is far easier to get ON a list of doctor shoppers than it is to get OFF of one.

If you have a physician who does not listen and hangs up the phone on you, then IMO, you don't have the right doctor for you, and you should find another. Going to a walk-in clinic cold and asking for pain meds (regardless of whether you're asking for a referral to another doctor) is, IMO not the way to do this.

A better way, IMO, is to explain the situation to your PCP (who is the one to coordinate all other care) what is going on and request a referral from him/her for pain management, AND another neurologist -- this one isn't working out. Your PCP should be familiar with all of your records and medical history, and therefore, be the one to address your issue short term and refer you to someone who can help for longer term care.

Google: how to find a good pain management doctor

Did you go to the clinic, and if so, what happened?

Doc
Dr. Smith,

I went to a new primary care physician and I really lucked out because this new doctor took a lot of time to answer my questions and discuss my concerns. I also received a referral to pain management. I feel that this new doctor is going to continue to provide much better care than I have been receiving. He suggested that I take my MRI's to the pain mgmt doc and talk with them about radiographic neural abrasion as a treatment option. He thought it may be a better solution for the ongoing problem with my muscle spasms/pain.

I still have a ways to go in terms of finding a migraine prophylactic med that works and has tolerable side effects. I ended up stopping the lyrica because the drowsiness/brain fog was causing too much interference with my ability to focus on my work during the day. I don't have all the answers yet but at least I feel I can trust my PCP to listen to me and be accessible when questions/concerns arise.
Sally Mae is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dr. Smith (07-04-2012)