View Single Post
Old 04-18-2007, 12:30 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Dyskinesia ramble....

Yes I experienced having sudden onset dyskinesia when I sat down to eat and it annoyed me so much I tried a few alternative ploys to block whatever the signal was that was setting it off. I noted that if it had been more than 2 hours since I last put something in my mouth I was sure to get it, and so I started eating a piece of toast or an apple before dinner, If we ate late dinner (anytime after about 6:30) I almost surely would get dyskinetic. My next ploy was to not sit down, but eat dinner at the kitchen counter...that worked too. I think your brain becomes more sensitive to the drugs when your stomach is empty and there is no other toys in your blood stream for the little dyskinesia bugs to play with.

I rarely have the problem, but then I don't sit down for dinner much any more either. I just eat as I go...nibble all day.

I have had PD for 10 years and don't have very much of a problem with dyskinesia and I take alot of sinemet (10X 25/100 cr) per day. I will run into problems when 1.) I need something in my system in the way of real food ...ie:not a candy bar, 2.) if I over do my medication -take my pill even 15 minutes early to get the jump on whatever it is I'm wanting to do (usually eat dinner), or 3.) I get stressed about something. The yellow regular sinemet is the worst for dykinesia in my case. I call them the Yellow Devils. I only take one, or part of one when I've burned up my allotment or can't get them to kick in.

After 10 years I've become a master at manipulating my drugs. I'm so clever I ended up in emergency twice!!! So I don't recommend any of what I said, I'm just letting you know what I do and you can make your own choices and design your own alternatives.

Still laughing after all these years.....