Old 07-04-2012, 10:47 AM
Magnate

10 yr Member
Magnate

10 yr Member
Default Doc,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Smith View Post
If s/he's feeling better and not in as much pain as before, does that matter?

We're kind of guessing our way around this issue, as none of us are surgeons. I spoze it's possible that the fusion covers enough surface area that removing a portion of it to remove hardware would still leave enough intact to stabilize the spine.

Also, in some of these procedures, it may not necessarily be the hardware that fuses, but the cage that replaces the disc, which may be (and often is from what I've read) of a different material than the hardware.

Lots of variables...

Doc

It was my understanding when fusining takes place, rods & screws could be removed; but this puts a whole different thinking about this.
Concerns for myself or others that have been told we could if wanted to go thru another surgery get them removed after fusing.

In my case, the myleogram showed one of the screws is near a vein. I mentioned previously, the doctor that ordered the myleogram said I should take the CD's of the myleogram to the original surgeon and the screw should be removed. He felt this could be a problem. My surgeon, as mentioned, did not look like he could even read the myleogram and never was able to view the CD that had the dye; but said he didn't feel the screw would cause a problem. Should it ever be necessary to remove the screw; if bone adhears to the rods/screws would assume this would be a problem.

Again, until 6yearslater posted; never realized the titanium rods and screws posed this kind of problem. Also, interested if this did remove her bone or were they able to work around the eroded pieces; but still leaving the bone fused. I am glad she is feeling better; but wondering if they were able to leave enough bone in place. Unless, in my case, the screw should pierce the vein; would probably never have hardware removed; but the problem does exist.

You are right though....lots of variables.

Gerry
ger715 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (07-04-2012)