View Single Post
Old 07-04-2012, 12:14 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ger715 View Post
It was my understanding when fusining takes place, rods & screws could be removed; but this puts a whole different thinking about this.
Concerns for myself or others that have been told we could if wanted to go thru another surgery get them removed after fusing.

In my case, the myleogram showed one of the screws is near a vein. I mentioned previously, the doctor that ordered the myleogram said I should take the CD's of the myleogram to the original surgeon and the screw should be removed. He felt this could be a problem. My surgeon, as mentioned, did not look like he could even read the myleogram and never was able to view the CD that had the dye; but said he didn't feel the screw would cause a problem. Should it ever be necessary to remove the screw; if bone adhears to the rods/screws would assume this would be a problem.

Again, until 6yearslater posted; never realized the titanium rods and screws posed this kind of problem. Also, interested if this did remove her bone or were they able to work around the eroded pieces; but still leaving the bone fused. I am glad she is feeling better; but wondering if they were able to leave enough bone in place. Unless, in my case, the screw should pierce the vein; would probably never have hardware removed; but the problem does exist.

You are right though....lots of variables.

Gerry
Gerry,
My spine is still very much fused. Before they took out the hardwear, there were a few conserns-1. That the fusion might not be fully completed. -2 my spine would move a a little from the fused position that it was in. not nearly as bad as it was when I had the rods put in, bit just a little bit.
If your rods were infected, and you spine wasent fully fused,(witch by now it should be)you would have to recover from the infection then have them put back in to fuse the parts of the spine that did not fuse.

I know that having the surgery again seems scarry, but it was the best tjing I could have ever done...i feel like I have my life back! And if infection is not the problem, maybe getting them taken out would be a good thing...i mean its worth a shot, your in pain now, and if you are still in pain,.at least you tried.

Also, the recovery of having the rods and screws out is wayyy shorter than having them put in...i was back in schoolwithin 3 weeks...feeling great! I wish the best for you and im glad I could help with my story.
6yrslater is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dr. Smith (07-05-2012), ger715 (07-04-2012), ginnie (07-04-2012)