View Single Post
Old 04-18-2007, 12:57 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
Hi Manatee,
I am so sorry to hear about your mother's death. It is so hard - my mom died several years ago and I still have so many questions.

Did the doctors explain any of this to your mom so that she was able to make an informed decision about refusing intubation? If you read about Myasthenia crisis they are referring to the weakness that leads to an inability to breathe which sounds like what happened to your mom. Usually people are sick and having difficulty breathing that leads up to the crisis. If they had been able to do the plasmapheresis that may have given your mom the strength to get through the crisis and receive treatment for the Myasthenia Gravis. Did she have any idea that she had it before she was hospitalized? If not, how did they determine that she had Myasthenia Gravis?

I'm sorry to be asking more questions when what you are seeking are answers. I am glad you found this place to come and to ask questions. Take care of yourself through all of this. I will be thinking of you.
Gabrielle
Hello Manatee: The death of a loved one is always sad; especially when they have a cronic debilatating illness. She is pain free and that's something to be grateful for. I'm 75 and had MG since 9/2006. I'm COPD but have not had any lung function problems. My difficulty is muscle weakness and walking difficulty. At times I need a quad-cane for stability. I'm currently on steroid therapy which will end soon. I don't know what the result will be; hopefully I will improve overall. Willyarty
willyarty is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote