View Single Post
Old 04-18-2007, 01:11 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default To interbate or not

Manatee: I can understand you deep concern regarding your mother's refusal to be inturbated . I have had to seriously consider aggressive action in the event I become unconscious. At my age (69 going on 76) with all the medical problems I have, quality of life is very important. I qualified my decision with a firm rule: if I can be taken off the respirator within 5 days and brought awake then okay, otherwise no. My wife would go further in medical intervention than I but she respects my decision. A significant reason for my decision lies in the fact that I'm a Christian with a close personal relationship with Jesus Christ. Therefore, when I die, I have to go to heaven as there is no other place for me to be. Heaven is not a goal it is a provision by God. Second, my decision was also based upon understanding 'quality of life.' I have seen too many loved ones languish in a nursing home just waiting to die. Despite good nursing care, where is their quality of life? Perhaps you mother considered this aspect. Be at peace and trust that your mother made the best decision she was able to make at the time. Also, in time, you will possibly be confronted with a similar decision for yourself or another. Your experience will help you and others who have read your query. God bless.

Last edited by willyarty; 04-18-2007 at 01:12 PM. Reason: take out unnecessary text
willyarty is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote