View Single Post
Old 04-18-2007, 01:36 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Angry Ivig

Hello loisba: Just read you query. I have had MG since 9/2006 at age (69 going on 76) 69. I'm COPD but have not had any lung function problems to date . I have a number of serious medical problems going back over 36 years. I have undergone 4 rounds of IVIG and 4 rounds of plasma exchange. I am currently on a long-term steroid bolis which will end 5/13. Hopefully it will have done the trick. Plasma exchange is a quick fix if it works. IVIG is really for the long haul and most likely is used along with oral medicine like Mestinon and/or Cellcept-I take both (Cellcept lowers the body's ability to fight off infection so care must be excercised). Cellcept is used to diminish the production of antibodies in order to facilitate the Mestinon's ability to interfere with the anti-bodies attack on the nerve/muscle junction. My first go at plasma exchange occured just before I had surgery to repair 6 or the 7 vertebrae in my neck. As I was facing the distinct possibility of paralysis I elected the plasma exchange in the hope it would get me through the operation. I came through the surgery ok, but my body, being so tramatised for so long, didn't respond well enough and I had to be readmitted for a 9 day eval course. I'm currently home, doing well though weak, and have a good appetite. Quality of life is very important and figures in my decisions regarding medical intervention. Also being a Christian has a deep effect on my views regarding the short-term and long-term future. My experience with IVIG is not typical. Most patients respond well and recover ok all other things taken together. Age and health play an important role in recovery. Well, I hope my info is of use despite my ramblings. God Bless!!

Last edited by willyarty; 04-18-2007 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Removal of unneeded text and add pertinent text
willyarty is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote