View Single Post
Old 07-05-2012, 07:59 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Michael,

The endodontist may try to convince your wife to retreat the tooth or do a surgical root canal called an apicoectomy. Keep in mind that endodontists perform root canals for a very impressive salary.... they do not divert from that procedure. If he says he can "cure" the infection.... ask him what happens to the dead nerve material inside the microscopic canals, called dentin tubules/accessory canals, that cannot be cleaned out. Ask him if the term "cure" really means to "retain" as in keep an infected tooth. Also ask him if this long term infection can compromise the jawbone and make replacement of this tooth complicated in the future.

I know it is scary to think of having a tooth removed. However, it truly is inevitable when a tooth is infected. The big problem with waiting is that the longer the infection is present, the more deterioration in the jawbone which makes replacing this tooth complicated. Also, any long term infection puts a lot of stress on the immune system and other organs of the body.

So the real concern that your wife needs to realize is.... remove an infected tooth and be healthy.... retain an infected tooth and live with the risks of systemic disease. I know this sounds cold... but it is the truth that your dentist may not make you aware of.

Let us know how she's doing.... hopefully she will be able to sort through her choices and make a clear decision not based on fear but what she believes is in her best interest.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikinho View Post
Bryanna,

Thank you very much for the reply and sharing your knowledge and experience. We were able to schedule an appointment with the endodontist tomorrow and will update how it goes.

It sounds like pulling the tooth will be needed, if not now, sometime in the near future--a scary thought for my wife.

-Michael (aka Mikinho)
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote