Thread: Coq10
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2007, 03:15 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Q10

Hi Lloyd, I have been taking Q10 for about 18 months now. My neurologist recommended 1600mg when I first began seeing her then. I only took 400mg daily until she told me again this Jan to take the max for PD. I now take 800mg. I buy it from Purtitain's Pride, it's expensive. When I last saw her this Jan, she did not think I have progressed. I guess I'm still early onset so I don't know why I'm holding my own, it could be because of the Sinemet and Mirapex which I don't take a lot of. I'm mostly symptom free. I was also taking tumeric when I saw her and she said to stop taking it, "it's toxic", don't know where she got that from. So I stopped the tumeric to keep her happy. I also take magnesium.
Does Q10 "work" for PD as has been claimed in the only two small studies that I've come across? I have no idea. As you may know, I also have been taking low dose naltrexone, 4.5mg LDN, for about 33 months which has been claimed to be neuroprotective for many brain disorders like MS, PD Alzheimers and has been shown to be neuroprotective in rodents at the NIH. My neuro told me not to take it when I first saw her, she knew nothing about it. I have not told her I continue to take it. LDN would fall into the same opioid receptor antagonist catagory as dextromethorphan which some people here take.
It's hard to determine or understand what to expect with my PD, are these extra supplements, Q10 or LDN, keeping me from progressing? Is it the Sinemet which has remained at the same dosage now for about two years and am I in the honeymoon? I don't know. It's hard to believe that I'm one of the very few PD's on LDN (I'm betting on LDN over Q10) who has been able to stop progression. I don't think enough time has passed to claim anything except I'm holding my own.
Ashley
ashleyk is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote