View Single Post
Old 07-06-2012, 02:27 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Question csf leak-something to worry about?

I am 22 years old and I have a csf leak. I was in a car accident when I was 19 and was ejected out of the vehicle and I broke my face/head causing the csf leak.

Basically at random times i will get really bad headaches that will only feel better when I lay down. there is a clear (water like) liquid (not mucus) that will periodically leak out of my nose. especially if i am doing something with my head down like tying my shoes. i have had this for two and a half years now so i am pretty used to it. Most mornings i do not eat because if i do i get sick from the headaches. (unless i have medicine to help my stomach)

if i am really stressed out or cough a lot the fluid will leak out more. (im guessing from the pressure)

they said at the beginning there was a really big risk of infection and to get the surgery. but i didnt happen to have 80,000 dollars in my pocket so that was not going to happen.
it has been two and a half years and i have not gotten any infection and i am still alive. i think as long as you drink a lot of water and don't abuse your body (by drinking excessively and drugs) you should be fine.

i hate the doctors and i hate pain medicine. they always seem to mess up on something. when they were testing for my csf leak they injected this stuff into my spinal fluid and turned me upside down. I asked if i was going to have any side affects (cuz im that person) and they said not to worry there was a less than three percent chance of something happening. well that something happened, my brain swelled and i had to lay around not moving taking steroids for a week. steroids make everything taste horrible.

i decided against getting my head cut open. again. I am just going to deal with the problems i have because the surgery is not even a sure one. and at least i can walk again i am just curious if it is really that dangerous to be walking around with a csf leak???
westg8 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote