View Single Post
Old 07-06-2012, 07:36 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Hello Willow and welcome to NeuroTalk

Quote:
Statistically, is one more successful than the other?
Unfortunately, there is no answer to your question It's very hard, if not impossible to find any kind of comparison to those who never used a DMD vs those who did. This disease is a crapshoot with no guarantees.

MS IS a progressive disease. The DMDs are to hopefully slow the progression, but again, no guarantee. Some do well on DMDs, some do not.

What I think is more important is how YOU feel about taking a DMD. Could you live with yourself IF you didn't take a DMD a became worse, would you have regrets? If that is the case you have answered your own question...Take a DMD.

There is the other side: You could decide to not take a DMD and have very little progression. Like I said...It's a crapshoot.

I was diagnosed at the age of 24 (1985) with symptoms that go back to childhood. There were no DMDs when I was diagnosed. The first DMD, Betaseron, became available to the general MS population in 1993...by lottery. I had a lottery number but as the time came close I decided not to use Betaseron. To this day, 27 years after diagnosis, I have not used a DMD.

A recent cervical spine MRI as well as a visit to my neuro confirmed what I had suspected...I have had no progression in several years, cervical spine MRI has improved and I have a very low EDSS.

That's MY story. However, I do not advocate the use or non-use of a DMD.

Best wishes in whatever you decide
ANNagain (07-08-2012), dmplaura (07-14-2012), Kitty (07-06-2012), SallyC (07-06-2012)