View Single Post
Old 07-06-2012, 08:23 AM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

When I was first dxd I decided that I MUST do everything humanly possible to reign this sucker in. I did Beta. my liver hated it. I switched to Copaxone and shot it for 4 years. 3 were ok, and the 4th I begged to be let off. I felt awful! Kept telling my MD but he pushed hard. After a year I dropped it and said NO MORE! I am diet only controlled now and while i have issues, I have no more issues than I had while on the stuff. It was expensive, caustic, and hard to deal with. I did feel like a fighter while I was on it, and now I have to figure out how to live without it.

I hear rumors there is a much safer pill going to be announced in 2013 and it will become the first line of defense. Put out by biogen.

Some folks chose Avonex cause its once a week. (smaller needle now and has an auto injector) or Rebif cause its only during the week and they enjoy their weekends off. Beta is every other day, and copaxone is daily. The first three can cause depressive sx and it scares some folks. They say Copaxone is relatively side effect free, but I wasnt one of those that enjoyed that. Copaxone can also take up to one full year to start working. the first three work right away.

Please speak to your MD. How many lesions do you have? How big of a hammer does he want to use? Are you really high on the disabled scale or still riding low? Does he want you on Tysabri (once a month IV) even tho it too has risks?

After talking to your MD discuss it with the family and decide which one would best fit YOUR lifestyle. Remember, if its horrible YOU CAN STOP.

Best of luck.

Betaseron 5/18/07

Elevated LFTs Beta DC 7/07
Copaxone 8/7/07

Dejibo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
dmplaura (07-14-2012), SallyC (07-06-2012)