View Single Post
Old 07-07-2012, 07:37 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

and validate your right to have those emotions ..........

[QUOTE=suev;894484]

Hi Erin!

Nice to meet you A while back I read some old posts round here including some of yours and thought to myself, ´She´s an amazing lady with an amazing life´

I really like the responses you got on your post…..maybe there could be a permanent ´sticky´ called ´How do you cope?´ at the top of the page..

Here´s how I cope.......

Not too long ago I lost most of my grasping, pulling, stretching and lifting ability. It got to the point where my hands could type one sentence only, and I stopped reading as I couldn´t turn the pages of a book. My husband ended up changing all the bedsheets for 4 years and doing most of the housework and cooking, and he still loves me too!!!!!

I spent my days being occupied with making the most elaborate day to day survival strategies for my own progressive symptoms and I also spent lots of time solving my friends emotional and practical problems in between fluctuations.

But all that cognitive processing alone unfortunately wasn´t enough. I did not, like suev is saying, ´validate my right to have any emotions´ during the whole of my experience – especially the negative ones. I felt like my body cheated me and it cheated everyone else too…....my husband out of a good wife, my child out of a good mother, and my employer out of a good worker.

I think all along I´ve managed to look around the obstacles in my life and it seems that there is always a blessing in disguise when I´ve really looked hard enough. A sense of humor has also helped me (at times!)

How I cope now is through the actual process of writing....vast amounts of it!!! Scrawled A4 sheets of paper all over the place, and most likely incomprehensible to most!
But in the end for me writing as a process is precisely what helps me cope.

All the best to you and I look forward to read about how you are doing in the near future.

Anacrusis
Anacrusis is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote