View Single Post
Old 07-07-2012, 11:52 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Lump on jaw after wisdom tooth extraction

Hey!! I am 23 years old and I had 3 wisdom teeth extracted on June 22. I had no pain or swelling on the side that had two removed but extreme swelling on the other side. After a few days, it wasn't getting better and I went to see a dentist that put me on clindamycin 500mg four times a day, double the first two doses, methylprednisolone and fluconazole. The same evening, I went to the ER for and fever slightly over 101 and warmth on a lump on my jaw. The ER doctor said it didn't look infected but prescribed me an additional 3000 mg/day of amoxicillin for 5 days. I stopped the clindamycin because of heartburn but continued the amoxicillin and steroids. After I stopped the steroids, I've had no improvement. Within 4 hours of the first dose of steroids, my jaw was half the size it had been (coincidence??). It's two weeks post op and I'm nearing the end of a second round of amoxicillin 1500 mg/day. I have no fever, no pain, I rinse with salt water and brush twice a day.. But the lump on my jaw is still there. No pain. My jaw gets a little stiff sometimes right after I wake up but nothing major. Heat and ibuprofen haven't seemed to help. The lump is hard and doesn't really hurt (other than when my daughter accidentally hit me which made my head swim).. My husband keeps saying to wait until my next appt (four days) but I've become a bit of a hypercondriac after the birth of our son two months ago and I'm afraid everything is life threatening. Please help me. I'm so afraid of what this could be.
KPerky7 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote