View Single Post
Old 07-08-2012, 04:20 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Liftyourhands7,
You can ask all the questions you want. Your information after your meet up with the doctor also may help folks who suffer from this condition. You are right about my smell (which I didn't lose completely). Though it was very nasty and especially if someone smokes I felt very nauseated in spite of my normal nausea. I dont have that much nausea because of cigarette smoke and avoid smokey environments now.

Regarding burning smell many people reported (from other site) but I don't think I had that. Probably Phantosmia (though all are clubbed under Anosmia). Very few in this forum has smell disorder and I remember one more person with severe diffuse injury also lost and got it. Few reported spontaneous recovery too. For some weird reason docs come out with the number - 6 months. Mine improved only after 2 years.

Dr. Heinkin asking the right questions and seems like honest about it. Even though you have PPO, does he accept? For me they told I have to pay all in cash and I have to bill the insurance later. It can cost few thousand dollars. As I mentioned I am dealing with other debilitating symptoms like dizziness, pain, fatigue etc., (like many others in the board) I thought I can come to this condition later. At this point I don't see a need. Losing a sense and getting it back (though not 100%) is a profound experience.

I was very depressed so I can understand your daughter's feeling. One way I handled was I thought this is better than losing Vision. Unfortunately there is no a good workaround for this condition. Some docs suggest spicy food but I don't think it is a great idea. It messed up stomach even though I can handle spicy food decently. Also you don't taste the spice but the chilli hot in it. But you are saying your daughter can taste nothing? I was like that for about a week after my TBI and I had no idea what was going on. If she is frustrated/depressed only thing you can do is just listen bcuz suggesting something can make her more frustrated.

If her depression is too much then doctors will suggest anti-depressants. One good thing is she is young and that can help in recovery. Also tell her it is not over since you are doing the best for her recovery.

Keep up your spirit and send my positive feelings to your daughter. Come back and ask anything anytime.

Cheers!