View Single Post
Old 07-08-2012, 09:30 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

fMRI, functional MRI is still used primarily for research. The brain mapping feature of fMRI is a much more expensive way to get the brain mapping information available from a qEEG. The qEEG comparative databases have been built over decades. fMRI is analyzed individually where qEEG uses computer software to greatly expand the data set. Finding a doctor who will use fMRI to accurately diagnose concussion is the biggest difficulty that, when added to the cost, makes it an unlikely diagnostic procedure.

SPECT (Single Photon Emission Computed Tomography) and PET (Positron Emission Tomography) is another expensive way of mapping brain functions usually based on the metabolism of short life radioactive glucose. Both are better at excluding problems that diagnosing the conditions from concussion.

I have had all of the imaging processes except fMRI. I have also has MRI/MRA to image blood flow with greater definition.

The greatest amount of information came from the qEEG. Unfortunately, qEEG has still to overcome a negative article written in 1997 in the Journal of The American Academy of Neurology (AAN) and read by many neuros. Even though the negative article has been soundly discredited, the neurology profession has not had access to the plethora of articles written by neuroscientists in support of qEEG. As such, it is difficult to get a health insurance company to pay for it.

The best source of qEEG is in the neurofeedback industry. The important consideration to understand is which, if any, brain injury qEEG database is used at the neurofeedback clinic. Some clinics do not use the brain injury databases as the FDA has put strict limits on their use. If one can find a qEEG clinic with an MD on staff, there is a greater likelihood of getting a qEEG diagnosis for brain injury.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote