View Single Post
Old 07-08-2012, 09:37 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Mom's Fight

I am right there with you. My Mom experienced an aneurysm on June 11th of this year. That particular day happened to be the 10 year anniversary of a car accident that took my grandmother's life, broke my leg, and put my best friend of 19 years in ICU with a bruised spleen. My Dad told me my Mom wasn't answering the phone or emailing him back. He works over an hour from home so he asked me to check on her. Its not uncommon for her to be off with friends or walking her dog to the pond. Instead, I found her in bed at 2pm with a headache and stiff neck. After deliberation and my husband's insistence I called 911 thinking she had had a stroke.
She was taken by ambulance to a local hospital. They informed us that she had a significant bleed in her brain and would need to be LifeFlighted to a hospital 3 hours away. She has been there since the night of June 11th when they placed a drain tube in her scalp to deplete the pressure. She had a breathing tube for 2 days and woke up understandable confused. By the 3rd day she could walk with slight assistance, eat, talk, etc. She recognized everyone, even people she hadn't seen in years. She asked to only be given Tylenol for pain and on day 3 that is all she was given for the pain of the headache associated with the draining & pressure on her brain.

She suffered a vasospasm on June 18th (my daughter's 7th birthday) and I was so scared I'd have to tell my daughter her grandmother passed on her birthday. She managed to beat the odds again and made it through with only slightly more problems after. Her issues are mainly mental but there are some significant physical obstacles to overcome. My mother is only 56 but she smoked cigarettes and they said that that could cause the damage & weak spots that are the aneurysms. She had one burst, but there are other smaller ones they can't do anything about right now.

As of today, my mother has been in a rehabilitation facility for 3 days. She thinks she drove herself there, thinks her truck is in the parking lot. She tries to leave so they have an ankle monitor on her to prevent her escape. She asks everyone to bring her home (which bothers her 82 year old mother enough to not call her or visit much). She is well physically but acts unreasonably and impulsively like a child. She pushes every button in her room, on her roommate's remote, the panic button on the wall, and wanders into other areas where she starts pushing more buttons. There are more issues, but with respect for her dignity, I will refrain from getting into further detail.

Its heartbreaking. We celebrated my Dad's 60th birthday and their 30th anniversary the weekend before. We had family in the house the day before. And then life came crashing down. It is good to have the support of family and friends, but in reality: my Dad and I are in this alone. I am her only child other than two step sons. They are wonderful and do care for my Mom after all the years she treated them like her own while they visited on vacations from school. They have lives and a mother of their own so the responsibility falls on Dad and I. My husband could help, but mostly it will be watching our kids while I take care of her while my Dad works. Every day he hasn't worked, he's been with her at the hospital. Now even he is worried about how this will all work out when we finally bring her home.

I'm so sorry you're faced with this and hope that with time you've found more comfort and the answers to some questions have cleared themselves up. I'm still in the scared/dazed/confused/what's next? phase of all of this. Anyone who can testify that their loved one was scarily confused and at times irrational but recovered with time & patience they've gotten better, I'd love to hear about it. I'm reading a lot of negative facts regarding aneurysms and the future of the person affected so I'd love to hear some positive stories to give us all a little hope. Thanks
AllForMom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote