View Single Post
Old 07-09-2012, 11:01 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Just thought I would drop in and give an update on how I have been progressing wih the tDCS treatment and my return to work.

First...I have been continuing treatments but I have gone down to one treatment a day because fitting in two has been too difficult. So I'm not sure if that has slowed down my progress or not (because I am still improving) but it is a change and thought I would mention it. I still do them every day though...usually as part of my routine to get ready in the morning.

BUT...as I said...I am still improving and am very encouraged by the changes over the past month.

I am now consistently sleeping through the night without waking and getting about 8 hours of sleep (unless I have to be up earlier for work). This is incredible. I still have the odd night here or there where I wake up and can't fall back asleep...but it's rare...only 2 or 3 times in the past month I think. Could also have something to do with how exhausted I am from working...but whatever the cause I am thrilled. This makes such a big difference in my energy levels and I just FEEL better overall when I get a full night's sleep. All last year I was lucky to get 3 hours straight of sleep and most nights I was constantly waking up lucky to get 15 minutes together.

There has also been improvement in my hyper sensitivity. Before it was my hands and my forearms that were getting relief and now I can also say that my upper arms are better too and (in the extreme heat that we have been having) I actually went outside without my scarf and wasn't crying in pain from the breeze. My neck still flares bad with anything except hot air movements (ie anything room temperature or less still hurts like all get out)...but this is a step in the right direction.

My balance is starting to improve...yay! I have been able to do more and more walking without the walker. I still always have it with me because I never know when I will lose it but I am able to do more and more stuff without it which is great. Unfortunately, every time I go without it my ankle flares from the full wieght bearing...but the fact that my balance is improving is great as far as I am concerned. Seems like if I am in a flare or REALLY tired...that's when I get all wobbly again...or maybe that's just when it's more noticeable because I don't have the ability to concentrate on it as much.

Work has been great. It totally kicks my butt...but it is WONDERFUL. I find that while I am at work and able to concentrate on something else besides the pain and treatments that things are better. The pain is still there...but it's not consuming all my thoughts and that feels great. I know that's not related to tDCS but wanted to say it anyway because it really is amazing to be back at work...and I honestly don't think I would be doing as well as I am at work without tDCS affecting all the other things.

The other things I am still using/doing along with tDCS. I still use the rolling walker, use a cane to get up and down stairs, take hot baths with epsom salts once or twice a day, wear the TENS on my ankle, wear Lidoderm patches on my arms if I know I will be doing any heavy lifting or very physical work (besides just walking), and am wearing the clonidine patches. I ran our of clonidine patches and went a week without them. The blurry vision and dizziness returned...so it looks like these will continue to be necessary. I am also still following the 4 Fs diet as much as possible. It's a little harder now that I am back at work but I would say that I still only cheat very rarely...once a week...sometimes twice. But I'm staying away from all the bad things...including caffeine and coffee...no easy thing now that I am back at work. :-)

Hope everyone else is doing well and if anyone has any questions, please let me know.
catra121 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Joydee (07-12-2012), reluctant@thetable (07-09-2012)