View Single Post
Old 07-09-2012, 02:50 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teresakoch View Post
Even if you tested negative for Celiac Disease, you may be gluten-sensitive.

The "eczema" that you have might actually be Dermatitis Herpetiformis[/URL] - the "dermatological" manifestation of Celiac Disease. Unfortunately, the "test" for that may or may not come back positive (it's a skin test, but the person doing it has to know what they are doing).

If you have DH, you have CD[/URL] (it is a 100% correlation). Many people with DH will test negative on the CD blood test (I did). For most people with DH, a "positive" diagnosis is made when they go on a GF diet and notice that their symptoms start to clear up. I had terrible skin rashes that wouldn't clear up with any treatment - within a month of going GF, they were significantly reduced. It was a happy surprise.... (I can always tell when I have been accidentally "glutened" - I start to itch like crazy!)

I had allergies my entire life - when I eliminated gluten from my diet, I noticed a few weeks later that I wasn't having them anymore (believe me, I wasn't even thinking about it - one day a light went off....). I have also found that the number of colds that I get has significantly reduced in both frequency and severity - I used to be guaranteed to get laryngitis every November/December (it got to be a running joke). Now? Not so much.

It's possible that the CFS you were diagnosed with in your 20's was actually an early manifestation of MG. I've found that "CFS" tends to be the "You're tired, but we don't know why and we've run out of things to test" diagnosis....
Thank you I'm not really prone to colds or things like that. The CFS was mostly ignored by my GP at the time, it was a different GP 3years later who mentioned that I'd been diagnosed with CFS!

I might ask for this skin test just to rule out coeliacs, but my GP is stingy with tests.
Jellifer is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote