View Single Post
Old 07-09-2012, 07:11 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi KPerky,

Probiotics are an over the counter supplement. You can buy them in most drug or health food stores. I buy mine online at vitacost.com for the best price. Yes, they can be a little expensive but it sure beats going to the hospital with c diff! The brand that I personally use and recommend to our dental patients is called Culturelle.

Some other ones that are okay too ..... PB8 by Nutrition Now, Acidophilous Pearls by Enzamatic Therapy, and Florell Probiotic, to name a few. Generally, the cheaper they are the less reliability there is with regard to the potency. It it ideal to have a minimum of 10 billion live cells guaranteed at the time of purchase, not only when manufactured.

Organic yogurt or kefir without fruit, sugar or preservatives can also be helpful.

Stomach upset when taking antibiotics or after taking them is a sign that the bacteria in your gut is not very healthy. So probiotics can help a lot. Sometimes you have to combine more than one product to get the full benefit. For instance, with our patients who get stomach upset from antibiotics.. we recommend Culturelle along with Saccharomyces bourlardii which is a pre biotic and works very well in combination with culturelle. This too can be purchased at a drug or health food store... or at vitacost.com. Two of the most reliable products for S bourlardii are made by NutriCology and Jarrow Formulas.

Hope this info helps!
Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPerky7 View Post
I will definitely let you know. Thank you. I haven't been prescribed probiotics. Can I buy them without a prescription and if so, how much are they? Even if they're prescribed, I just recently lost my health insurance and dint have a lot of money. I've heard of c. diff and was kinda concerned about it after so many antibiotics. I've been having some stomach upset but not severe or worsening. Do you think I should be concerned?
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote