View Single Post
Old 07-10-2012, 08:42 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenntaj View Post
--should be able at least not only to look at what is going on in the stomach, but in the duodenum, which does contain villi and from which samples can be taken.

Sometimes, evidence of frank celiac may be found there. But, as noted, the damage to villi may be patchy, and may occur farther down the small intestine. And a standard endoscopy may not get that far down--for one thing, a different, smaller scope may need to be used.

There were a spate of recent articles referencing a study concluding underdiagnosis of celiac due to lack of sufficient villous samples taken on "standard" small intestine biopsies--here's one link to it (and it gives the original study reference):

http://www.stonehearthnewsletters.co...nored/updates/
Thank you Glenn for your reply.

Do you think that it would be wise if i request another test, not using the "deaminated", just before considering the biopsy?

I am wondering if one is celiac, can she/he still absorb nutrients? I ask this because i am taking Vit B12 (just an example) and my blood shows the max number after 3 months, which means that I absorb VitB12. I am not sure if my thinking makes sense, just thinking aloud.

I have a strong suspicion that I have Sjorgren's, though, all my tests are negative. I have all the dryness of eyes, mouth, throat and nostrils. AND I have fibronodules in my lungs. I doubt that even my neurological symptoms may also be caused by the Sjorgren's.
Idiopathic PN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote