View Single Post
Old 07-10-2012, 12:57 PM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Default Markus and anyone with a pet...

Anyone who owns a pet may one day find themselves in the situation of making a final decision for that pet. It's part of the responsibility of pet ownership, like feeding and medical care, and one that everyone must be aware of and accept before adopting a pet.

When dealing with a pet that is ill and in declining health, I believe the best, easist course of action is to make the decision ahead of time. Establish some criterion, or set of criteria, with the help/guidance of your veterenarian, that will be the indication, or signal, that it is time, and stick to it.

We've had to do this twice now, and will likely have to again. We have no regrets about this way of doing it. The decision is essentially made for us, and there is no last minute aruing with ourselves about trying to prolong the inevitable, or guilt about it being the right thing at the right time.

Every vet I have discussed this method with concurs that it is the best way, as have many pet owners we have known/met. Set your own criteria, but when that event occurs, stick to it regardless of what happens afterward.

Celebrate the love and joy you shared; it is something truly special.

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (07-10-2012)