View Single Post
Old 07-10-2012, 10:37 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Smirk post thymectomy suggestions

-Yes, buy a wedge and take all the bed pillows in the house and put them on your bed. Even a sofa cushion or two. You want to be as propped up as you can. Don't buy a husband bed pillow, it wasn't supportive enough, waste of money.
-I wasn't interested in sleeping in the recliner, I found it uncomfortable and painful.
-The first few days at home don't wait 4 full hours for your next painkiller if you're hurting, they take 15-20 minutes to kick in, 3:45 or 3:50 between doses is okay.
- Quadruple your water intake, the painkillers cause absolutely horrible constipation which for me led to painful complications.
- Sleeping for more than 4 hours at a time will be your only goal.
- When you feel you can do so safely, go for daily walks. (100 feet or around the block) whatever you can do. I didn't and found my legs to be very weak and achy into my second month home.
- Pajamas,sleepwear - Once you are given the okay, you can put vitamin E on your incisions. However, the vitamin E stains the shirts soooo....don't use your spouse's new t-shirts like I did, find some old ones you don't mind staining.
- If you have cabin fever the first week home, DO NOT go shopping thinking you can just drive the handicapped cart. It was so painful because you have to lean forward to steer and go (unless you are long armed or large enough to be closer to the handles).
- Buy a plastic chair to put in shower.
- Hope for no sneezes.
wbdolphin is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote