View Single Post
Old 07-11-2012, 06:06 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teresakoch View Post
I might ask for this skin test just to rule out coeliacs, but my GP is stingy with tests.

Have you ever been tested for allergies? A wheat or barley allergy will cause the same problems, but will rarely progress to Celiac Disease.

If you don't think your GP will do a test (I don't know how expensive the skin test is, and like I said, it's not always conclusive), you can always just try a gluten-free diet for a month and see if you find any relief from your eczema.

Bear in mind, though, that you have to be COMPLETELY gluten-free - there is no such thing as "gluten lite".

For me, once I was off of gluten I felt SOOOO much better - and every time that I accidentally ate it, I started feeling just awful. Most people who have gluten sensitivity who go on a GF diet find it VERY easy to stick with the diet for that very reason. My sister-in-law and nephew (only related through marriage - we don't share any genes) were diagnosed with CD around the same time - completely unbeknownst to me - and they have said the same thing. It's almost like a "miracle".

If you decide to go GF, commit to doing it for at least a month - if you're not gluten-sensitive, you won't feel a difference (but it can take a couple of weeks to get it out of your system).

I always tell people that a GF "diet" is much cheaper than all of the doctors' visits and medicines I was paying for before. I still have MG, but there are a host of other conditions that I am less likely to develop as a result of an untreated gluten issue.

FWIW, there is a MUCH higher incidence of CD in Ireland - they don't know why. ALL of my ancestors were from England, Ireland, or Scotland, so it's not surprising that I have this....
Yeah I got tested for skin allergies and the only one I have is boron! I even tested negative for nickel.

I also got bloods done for allergies to work out what made me go into anaphylaxis and I'm allergic to nuts (hazelnuts are worst), apples and pears.
Jellifer is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote