View Single Post
Old 07-11-2012, 07:15 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default VTOS without surgery?

I was diagnosed with Venous TOS in April after a DVT (blood clot) was found in my subclavian vein. The clot cleared up within 2 weeks with heparin alone (confirmed via ultrasound), I was on coumadin for 3 months (even though my INR was always low), and now my vascular surgeon is saying that rib resection surgery is optional. But I am terrified that a clot will recur if I don't do something to address the cause of my original DVT.

I had mild/moderate neurogenic TOS symptoms pre-DVT, and those have increased a bit since - mainly more stiffness in the neck and shoulder, along with some tingling in my hand at times. Nothing unbearable, though. I'm afraid that surgery will only aggravate these symptoms.

Yet after months of research, I have yet to come across anyone with VTOS and DVT who has not opted for surgery. Is there anyone who has avoided surgery after a DVT? Successfully or not?

I'm also looking into physical therapy, but again, I'm afraid of aggravating things and reclotting. Has PT has helped anyone with VTOS or is it only for NTOS (as my dr. suggests)?
nina987 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote