View Single Post
Old 07-11-2012, 07:56 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejibo View Post
Ever since I was a kid I had a hard time with things like Novocaine when they needed to fill a cavity, When I needed stitches in my head they had to give me triple. As I grew up and became a young mother I found during my breast cancer battles that regular doses of about any med were simply not enough! From benedryl to anesthesia. I would be on the operating table and the anesthesiologist would stare down at me and say "OMG I cant believe you are awake! I gave you a double dose!"

Fast forward to the MS years. The MRI scares me so. I am claustrophobic and when I lay down flat my tummy backwashes and they fear I will vomit in the tube, So, they "try" to knock me out. I have had just boat loads of meds, and I am sitting there like "what?" its amazing, I have a tiny sense that I was given a med, but there aint no way that is enough. They normally talk about how much they gave me, and knocking out a small village...dont care! im still perfectly awake! So now they just knock me out, tube me and get it over with rather than give me so many meds it stops my breathing.

Anyone else? Need more pain meds than the average bear? more novacaine? more anesthesia? Whats with that??

One anesthesia guy told me greater than 20% of the population doesnt react to medications the way they expect, so 1 in 5 have issues. im just one of them. That made me feel better.
I used to give sedation for a group of dentists and oral surgeon. One day I attempted to sedate a young girl. That doctor used valium IV and not narcotics. I titrated her dose up to 27mg IV. Finally, I went to get the child's mother and report that we would be unable to do her surgery because we could not get her sedated. The mother said she forgot to tell her husband (who brought the daughter to the pre-op visit) to tell the doctor that they have some enzyme that totally reverses valium. I would not have believed it had I not given the valium IV myself. So, you are not strange IMO.
NCRN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ANNagain (07-13-2012), Dejibo (07-12-2012), SallyC (07-11-2012)