Thread: Frustrated
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2012, 09:09 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

HI Paulie -- Welcome!

MG is characterized fatiguable weakness. In a nutshell, that means that the more we use our muscles (even the ones we don't think of, like around our eyes) the weaker we may get. Now the weird part is, the muscles don't always weaken the same way or at the same rate from day to day, or even from hour to hour within the same day.

For me, I can't describe it as having 'episodes' -- but others here may feel differently. For me, my arm or legs get 'heavy' and it just takes too much effort to use them effectively. That means its either time for some Mestinon or time to rest. MG is not the same from person to person ... that's why this forum is so helpful. It makes us more aware.

Have you been tested for MG (blood draws looking for certain antibodies)? There are some specific things that can make an MG diagnosis definitive. But someone can still have MG even if they don't test positive for those antibodies.

I have no idea whether you have MG or not...but if you can not have the discussion you wish to have with your current neuro - perhaps it's time for a second opinion. In the meantime, there are many folks here who have gone through a lot over (sometimes) years, before finding the right neuro and getting our dx. We all benefited from keeping our own records, getting copies of all our docs notes and test results, etc. A journal is helpful too.

Unfortunately, with most neuro illnesses, we have to be our own patient advocates (even though we are often too exhausted or beaten down to want to!!) Whatever you do, keep searching until you find someone who will help you. They are out there...they really are!!
suev is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote