View Single Post
Old 07-12-2012, 11:09 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thanks for the replies Mark and Lightrail, I appreciate it!!

I've been reading the MTO website all morning. http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dan...tandards.shtml
To me, it looks like they will have to report it and then the MTO will review it and decide based on the info the clinic supplies whether I'm fit to drive.

There is a process to regain your license, it costs the best part of $1000 to take the test.

Driving is one of the few times of day I feel like me again... the rest of the time, not so much. I had years and years of driving experience before my accident, more than the average person and was always a good driver before, no tickets, no accidents, nothing. Clean!

My ongoing symptoms...

-- headache

-- dizziness when I walk too fast (though my gait is altered to compensate, my family calls it walking like "King kong")

-- light and sound sensitivity (I always wear my hat and sunglasses when I go out, including when I drive)

-- still very tired and require a nap daily, though I do sometimes miss a day

-- anytime I increase my heart rate doing work, my headache increases, so I try to work slowly when I have to work and lots of things just don't get done. (Everyone gets fed and mucked out and their basic needs attended to, but not much more)

-- have a hard time with math skills, making change or being sure I get the right change is next to impossible

-- variety of emotional issues, including anger, crying for "no reason", judgement and impulsiveness (these two mostly relate to making purchases and the ability to say no when someone pressures me a bit)

-- most apparent when I'm tired or upset, words are hard to find, my speech comes out stilted, I find it hard to understand what others are trying to say and make myself understood.

-- still not able to return to all my "duties" around here. If I had a real job, depending on what it was, I might not be back yet. Around here, many things are just beyond what I can do. (Like install fencing, which is something I normally do in the spring, summer and fall, luckily right now we are in a drought and we have clay soil, so no chance to dig even if I could!)

I mostly only drive from our rural area to the small city where the buses are. The small city also has the grocery store and stuff like that. I rarely go to the big city, except that the clinic is in the big city, but I've been a couple times and its been ok. (I never went into the big city much before my injury, so I'm not that familiar with it anyhow)

My daughter has been working on getting her license, we have a graduated system here, so it takes a LONG time to be fully licensed. She's very much a beginner and hates driving my truck, she says its too big.

My husband... he's not a safe driver, which is why I do all the driving. If the driving gets left to him, I'll walk or move into town (which I hate). If anyone in our house should have their license suspended it is him! He doesn't have the focus to pay attention long enough... actually many of his "quirks" are very much like TBI symptoms... being so tall, maybe he's hit his head too many times, I don't know!!

He's always surprised when other people drive and there are no horn noises, because when HE drives, he hears horns all the time! Scary. Scary. Scary.

Starr
"Starr" is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote