View Single Post
Old 07-12-2012, 03:06 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

[QUOTE=Mist8012;896813

My head is pounding! I wonder what this means for me. If I have anxiety over returnning to work now will I ever be able to go back?

[/QUOTE]

Yes, absolutely. Whatever it is about returning to work that is frightening you is something you can work on with a good therapist (be sure to get someone who specializes in anxiety disorders).

If your panic is focused on specific situations or scenarios, then your therapist will work on exposure techniques with you to help to desensitize you. This is hard, but it really works. Sometimes exposure involves actually facing the feared situation, but exposure can also be done through imagination. A good therapist will combine exposure techniques with cognitive therapy to develop more productive thinking habits. This can be done even if what you are most afraid of are the anxiety and panic attacks themselves (which is very often the case).

Off the top of my head, I don't know of any good books specifically about panic disorder, but one of my favorite general books on anxiety is Dancing with Fear, by Paul Foxman:

http://www.amazon.com/Dancing-Fear-C...cing+with+fear

He covers most of the major anxiety disorders, and I think this book is a good place to start for anyone who is looking for a better understanding of her anxiety.

Be well.
Mist8012 (07-12-2012), TBI/PTSD (07-13-2012)