View Single Post
Old 07-12-2012, 06:13 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Wow, interesting post! Do you think this is MS related, or just some genetic trait? Or both (since MS has a genetic component)? I never drank at all until I was 18, and immediately found I could drink guys twice my size under the table so it was not an acquired thing. I would get hangovers except on whiskey (my distant ancestors were Scottish, wonder if I inherited the ability to metabolize whiskey?).

I am now very hard to sedate. I know to warn the drs ahead of time for any kind of concious sedation like a colonoscopy, because I had one where I was awake and talking the whole time, watching it on the screen. I have to go to an oral surgeon for dental work because novocain doesn't seem to do much for me, so they knock me out. I can easily take 10mg of valium and not even show the effects.

Oh, and morphine doesn't work - at all. After my hysterectomy I woke up in terrible pain and they kept giving me morphine, finally I said, "OK, this is not doing anything! Go get the dr, she knows I'm not a wimp, this is just not working." They gave me Toradol, I think, and it worked like a charm.

When I read about Heath Ledger's death, I was shocked. I walk around with more drugs than that in my body on a daily basis without a second thought and never even feel it! It doesn't even bother me to have a couple of mixed drinks on top of my meds (many of which are potentiated by alcohol). I just blame it on my screwy brain chemistry!

"Never try to teach a pig to sing.
It wastes your time, and annoys the pig."
msarkie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ANNagain (07-13-2012), new2net98 (07-15-2012), SallyC (07-12-2012)