View Single Post
Old 07-12-2012, 06:31 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelodyL View Post
HI. Alan has (of course) been reading up on CMT on the internet. He then exclaimed "I had Flat feet when I was in the army, but they took me anyway, but if it was World War 2, I could have gotten out of being in the army"

I said "how do you know you had flat feet?" He said "I used to look at my feet and I always said: "wow, I have flat feet".

So.... either the guy has lost it, or he indeed had flat feet 40 years ago and now he has a high arch.

Also, (and this is important), CMT affects muscles right? About 7 years ago, after he got the stent he had to go into cardiac rehab and then he joined the gym (He got the foot ulcer by going on the treadmill in cardiac rehab). You think they would have known not to put someone with PN on a treadmill, but I digress.

After the cardiac rehab (and even wearing the Crow book), Alan went to the gym 5 times a week. He lost his weight, he developed muscles and he used to wear musclemen t shirts. I'll never forget that period in his life.

Can a person with CMT go to the gym, work out, lift weights and build muscles (all the while, wearing the crow boot for his foot ulcer)?

I don't think a man with CMT would be able to accomplish this do you?

Or, he has the strangest case of CMT I've ever heard of.

His mother had Guillian Barre and died at age 53 of a heart attack. His sister has recently been told that she has neuropathy but initially she had a morton's neuroma.

I don't get any of this. His father died of congestive heart failure at the age of 74. He didn't have any neuro issues at all.

You bet we are going to be asking his new podiatrist on Saturday when he gets measured for the new orthotics.

There's no treatment for CMT, this I know, but honestly, wouldn't his various neurologists have picked up on this (if he had this)? I remember asking the neurologist he was seeing about 4 years ago. "Could have CMT?" and she said "no".

Melody
Hi,

Muscles affected by CMT cannot be built up. Muscles affected by CMT are atrophied (dead). You can keep healthy muscle and build that up. If a person indeed has CMT they can exacerbate the symptoms by overdoing.

CMT not only affects feet and legs but also hands and forearms. Other places as well. If you have ever seen anyone with CMT you can pretty much tell by the hands and the way they walk.

Alan has an interesting family history. However, it does not appear that it has anything to do with CMT. Again, I doubt that Alan has it but I'm not a doctor nor have I ever seen him in person. By this time, in my opinion, he would more than likely have much muscle wasting, etc.

For more on CMT click on my forum on CMT under "PN Tips, Resources, Supplements, and other Treatments". Again, there is no cure/treatment whatsoever for CMT.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"It is what it is."
Kitt is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
MelodyL (07-12-2012)