View Single Post
Old 07-13-2012, 09:12 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Question New Member, questions, questions!!

Hi all!
I thought that I had registered here a few years ago, but I guess not.
I will warn in advance - this is a long post of history and questions........
I have NOT been diagnosed with MS, but I have thought for several years (12+) that something was going on........and it apparently "runs" in the family!

First ME....I am 51 yrs old and a female....all the weird things started in 1996, when we got our first home computer and the internet......

I began to have what I described to my doctors as all of a sudden one eye would go dark for a few seconds to a minute and then it was as if a wad of cotton was over my eye and it was being pulled apart to allow my vision to come back. It would NEVER happen to both eyes at the same time, but it DID happen to both eyes....this went on and off for 5+ years......I was told it could be occular migranes but never had a headache...a couple of years ago, I found (on the internet) an exact description of this....it is called AMAUROSIS FUGAX.......it finally went away...I dont remember when,..

In 1999, someone at my office commented about how purple my arms were....my legs had purple marks too..I went to my PD and he had another doctor come in and at first they thought I had Beurgers Disease.......he sent me to a Rheumatologist who diagnosed Raynauds and Livedo Reticularis.....he put me on Norvasc, which I took for probably 10 years....I live in the south, so the Raynauds isnt as bad as it could be...even its kind of disappeared.....

I was tested for all the autoimmune diseases and have been several times since then.....

In 2008, all of sudden, Vertigo hit me with a passion....it lasted on and off for about 18 months....I never got sick but there were times when I could NOT function....the worst time, I was standing on our porch, having a normal conversation with my DH, when suddenly, I grabbed him by the collar with a DEATH GRIP.....I thought I was falling.......and I was standing perfectly still!
And again, that went away....I had an MRI, was told the results were normal, but later I read my insurance diagnosis and it said brain disease.....poor blood flow to brain....

In 2010, I woke up one morning and thought that I had slept wrong. My shoulder ACHED! I thought I had pinched a nerve in my neck.......after about 3 weeks of that not going away, and numbess and tingling down my arm and into my fingers, I made an appt with a Neuro.....I had actually been to him in 1996 for the eye thing, but they had disposed of all their old records....
He did all the nerve conduction tests and he said they were ok.....when he saw what I had put down on my history, he had me do another MRI and a ton of bloodwork. In the meantime, he had me go to PT for six weeks, which helped, so I figured I had pulled a muscle...

When I went for the followup, he said "lets talk about all these STROKES"......I was like *** are you talking about......he said the MRI showed that I had had 8+ lacunar strokes (small vessels deep inside the brain)......he has me on a baby aspirin and thats it......I have since gone back complaining of brain fog, depression, anxiety, not sleeping, ect.

Tonite, I had something else weird that happened and that is what brought me to this forum.....for years too I have had toe cramps...The kind of Dr. Spock spread your toes type without your permission! Tonight, it started in my toes, then my ankle started cramping and turning in, then it continued up the TOP of my lower leg (not the muscle side or fat side).....it was EXCRUTIATING..........I ate a banana whild my DH was aggressively massaging my leg............I have NEVER had it do anything more than my toes......

So, now to my "family history" of a disease that supposedly isnt inherited.........

My half sister lost her eye to Optic Neuritis in the early nineties....had to have the eye removed.....she tried to take her life in early 2000s by an overdose of Tylenol and something else ( I cant remember)....she almost suceeded, but thank goodness she didnt.....she developed Necrosis in her bone joints because of that and the years of Prednisone from losing her eye....she took in for almost 20 years (the max doses) until she passed in May from a heart attack......she was never actually diagnosed with MS (or she didnt tell us - we now have come to believe that she did have it).....

In 2010, my full sister was finally diagnosed with MS definitively)....she too had Optic Neuritis about 15 years before, went through the steroids, but never fully regained her vision in that eye)....one day, she just said she had FIRE start at her hip, run down her leg, over her foot and back up the other side........she knew what she had.....went to the Neuro, told him she had ON, and he did blood work and an MRI....one of the blood labs was sent to Mayo because he wanted to rule out something more serious! than MS.....
She takes the Avonex shot once a week and Trileptal daily....

I TOLD you this was long......anyway I just wanted to share, seek out opinions and have someone tell me if this leg cramp thing is yet another sign that I need to remember to bring up to my Neuro visit in October..........

Thanks for listening!
MDL
mdl28 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Blessings2You (07-14-2012), Dejibo (07-14-2012), Judy2 (07-16-2012), SallyC (07-13-2012), yeti (07-14-2012)