View Single Post
Old 07-14-2012, 02:56 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

How did I stop guarding? I just set my mind to it and made it happen. It wasn't easy...but first you have to accept that RSD is a use it or lose it condition. Guarding and non-use will only make you worse long term...so why would I want to make myself worse by doing those things?

My advice it to start small. When my RSD spread to my arms and hands last year it was really rough. My physical therapist gave me a couple of small exercises to do with my hands and I did these several times a day (still do). She also saw that I had puzzles and saw some of my completed cross stitch projects on the walls of the house (done prior to the spread). She told me to do the puzzles and try to cross stitch again because those are good exercises for your hands. Don't get me wrong...it was VERY hard and VERY painful...but I was also VERY determined because I wanted my life back.

Any time I felt myself wanting to guard or not use my hands (or left ankle as that is where my RSD first started) I remind myself of how important it is USE them. There's so litle in our control with this monster but this is in my control. Some days the pain is worse than others so I may do less on those days or easier things but I definitely make myself do things. My hands will freeze up on me if I do not move them almost constantly so one of the things I still struggle with sometimes is reminding myself to move my hands/fingers when I am doing activities where I wouldn't normally...like if I am holding a fishing pole or a duster or whatever. Having my hand in that one position for too long causes the freezing and intense pain. I'm still constantly learning how to function with all the strangeness of this condition but for me at least what it has taken is my unfailing committment to get back as much of a "normal" life as I possibly can despite the pain (which I have all the time whether I move or not).
catra121 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote