Thread: Bad Biopsy
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2012, 04:49 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by en bloc View Post
Actually, it is considered phantom pain, because the nerve has been cut and a section removed for the biopsy. This interrupts the nerve pathway to the foot (anything past the point of biopsy) and can cause severe phantom pain. This is common with amputees. Cutting the nerve where nothing below gets a signal produces the same scenario as amputating (in regards to nerves).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantom_pain

You should contact the doctor that did the biopsy and inform them. They will likely prescribe something to help relieve that pain. I'll be honest, it is difficult to relieve but mine did fade over time.

BTW, sural nerve biopsies are very invasive and commonly cause this type of severe pain. The numbness involved with this procedure (because the nerve is severed) is usually permanent. Whoever told you there would be no pain was not honest.
I go to a pain management clinic sense I've had neuropathy cause żVA just won't do it. Excuse. my spelling my phone tries to do it for me. So the next day my pain was horrible so I called the VA And she said there shouldn't be so she recommened

Last edited by mrsD; 07-14-2012 at 05:27 PM. Reason: fixing quote function for clarity
duarte1985 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote