View Single Post
Old 07-14-2012, 09:53 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

What products have you tried using, Brachial ?

Finding the right mix can be tricky, but it CAN be done.

Always start with asking the doctor who is prescribing the narcotics or your primary physician. Literally, that is a warning ! My primary doc recently reamed me out for "self medicating" after I took 2 Peri Colace, once, for constipation d/t narcotics.

What you may have to use AFTER you are bound up may be different than what you should use daily to prevent constipation while on narcotics.

One to two tabs of Sennakot, up to 3 times a day worked well for most patients on narcotics that I worked with when I was with Hospice.

My primary doctor prefers me to use Benefiber (or the generic equivalent)....one dose per day everyday, then increase the daily doses based on how many days that I haven't gone (ie.....3 days without a bm=3 doses that day, etc) That plan doesn't work well for me at all, but I'm 'only' the patient, so I guess my comfort doesn't matter.........

Miralax works well for many.

I recommend consulting with one of your doctors to find a maintanence bowel regime that is gentle on your system to help things along, then have the back up plan for when you do get bound up.

Gee, this looks like a great place to sit and have a picnic with my yummy bone !
finz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Brachial6 (07-16-2012)