View Single Post
Old 07-15-2012, 03:48 PM
Diego24

Diego24

Ssharonec, thanks for the info. I never thought of tau protein to be involved in PD. It is good this research confirms tau is not involved in PD. Now, we know for sure this is not the case, which is wonderful to know.

The tau protein is not the link between AD and PD. The mechanisms involved in AD and PD seem the common link. In AD tau protein spreads from neuron to neuron and leaving a thrace of devastation. In PD you have the same mechanism but it is caused by alpha-synuclein instead. At least, this is what scientists think. Given the fact that the tau targeting rember could reduce AD progression with 80 %, it is not weird to believe a similar reduction could be obtained targeting alpha-synuclein ... of course if alpha-synuclein is the cause of PD progression (which it most probably is).

This means the current PD vaccin trial of Saffiris is very hope giving to the PD community. Also the PD candidate from Remynd is very hope giving. What is even more hopefull is a combination between alpa-synuclein targeting and growth factors. Maybe this combination could halt or even slightly improve PD.

Call me optimistic, but I really see a bright future ahead for PD patients.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote