View Single Post
Old 07-16-2012, 09:44 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Torsin A

[
"When proteins go bad, they often cause disease, but they always have a normal function in our cells," Guy Caldwell said. "We looked to find molecules -- not necessarily that reversed the mutated form of the protein -- but instead enhanced the normal activity of the protein, thereby overcoming the deficiency caused by the mutant."

The UA researchers discovered that ampicillin, a common antibiotic of the penicillin group, serves to activate torsinA, which, in its normal form, appears to protect cells from stresses, such as protein misfolding -- a problem known to impact various movement disorders.

Using a nematode animal model designed to evaluate torsinA activity, the UA lab rapidly screened through hundreds of compounds to identify those that were most effective at enhancing torsinA's normally protective function.

"From there, we collaborated with researchers at Harvard and UAB to validate our findings in human patient cells and mice," said Dr. Kim Caldwell, associate professor of biological sciences at UA.

"In human dystonia patient cells, ampicillin was efficacious and restored the patient cells back to the normal function," Kim Caldwell said. "And, the drug restored normal movement to mice that were genetic mimics of dystonia."

Collaborators in the UA-led study were Drs. Xandra O. Breakefield and her colleagues at Harvard and Yuqing Li and his colleagues at The University of Alabama at Birmingham, known as UAB. Dr. Songsong Cao, a former doctoral student in the Caldwell Lab, is the study's lead author; two UA doctoral students, Alexander J. Burdette and Pan Chen; and one former UA student, Amber Clark Buckley, are among the co-authors.

Furthermore, the research shows ampicillin enhances the capacity of torsinA to protect, within animal models, the neurons which produce dopamine from dying. The death of these neurons in human brains leads to the hallmark symptoms of Parkinson's disease.

As someone whose symptoms of parkinsons were greatly diminished by 10 days of 750mlg of Amoxicillin,(as i reported on this site) I think that
TorsinA is a more logoical theory for its effect than killing a pathogen. Unfortunately powerful antibiotics cannot be taken on a regular basis,and i don't think mild ones like Minocycline are as effective. Nevertheless i have been experimenting with herbal antibiotics like olive leaf extract with some mild success.
On a side note Diego, i was recently put on an alpha blocker Terazosin and immediately noticed a worsening of my parkinsons symptoms. It also made me very tired. I'm now on a beta blocker and feel much better
mark f is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
lurkingforacure (07-16-2012)