View Single Post
Old 07-16-2012, 02:41 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Dejibo, some of the fats you list are "good fats", like avocado and olive oil. Swank did not limit olive oil or other "good fats", in fact he suggested adding them to make up for the loss of saturated fat. I must admit, however, that he did limit some items which are high in good (unsaturated) fat, such as avocado and nuts. He recommended slight consumption of nuts (I don't have his book here, which I lost in the Los Alamos fire in 2000, so I can't look up how many nuts he recommended). This post reminds me that I am out of walnuts, which are a good source of unsaturated fat, especially if you can't eat fish oil, as I can't. I do tend to skimp on these unsaturated fats because they, too, can be hard to digest (for me) and fattening. But I must get open my new bottle of olive oil and start using it. I also use a small amount of peanut butter, which has good fat, but limit how much.

I understand that we all have different metabolisms, and you may need more fat than other people. Part of this is because I have porphyria and must have a diet balanced between protein, carbs, and a little fat. The carbs do tend to go to one's waist, and that isn't ideal, but it is the metabolism I was given. I'd rather eat high protein but can't. Must be balanced. I manage to control weight by eating very little fat, but that can be negative, I understand this. Can't win.
Mariel is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ewizabeth (07-16-2012), SallyC (07-16-2012)