View Single Post
Old 07-16-2012, 10:05 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho View Post
Champ,

Welcome to NeuroTalk. You have found the right place.

I doubt you have a brain bleed like Natasha Richardson. You would be dead already. You are doing the right thing. Quiet rest is the best treatment. The Advil is OK.

Avoid caffeine and alcohol. Eat healthy. You are so early that you may get better without much special care. If you continue to struggle after a week or two, let us know what is going on.

If you continue to vomit and get an extreme head ache or have any change in motor skills, especially if one side works different than the other, get to the ER. Do not drive yourself. Call 911 if needed.

My best to you.
Ibuprofen can cause bleeding. The day my son had his accident, he didn't tell me he hit his head or had a headache. He did take 2 Advil. After a few hours, he told me it caused him to have strange sensations in his head, like popping and tiny lights going off, wooziness and pain.

Not knowing yet that he was injured, I thought he had some kind of allergic reaction. It reminded me of a sort of similar reaction to a high blood pressure medication I'd had a couple years earlier. I had allllll the side effects and spent a day in ER.

It was a few weeks before I realized the Advil had at least contributed to his injury by worsening the slow bleed that probably had started by then, or maybe it even set it off, the "last straw". In any case, 3 days later he had major brain surgery to stop the bleeding and drain it out.

I'm fairly sure he'd be safe enough with it now that the bleeding has healed, but it would definitely be contraindicated for several weeks after a head injury, regardless. I'm not sure I'd ever trust he'd be okay with it. I'm pretty sure he won't want to try, he will probably always think he's allergic and I wouldn't argue with him about it if he does.

"If you’re suffering from headaches following a closed head injury, take a pain reliever such as acetaminophen (Tylenol). Avoid pain relievers such as aspirin (Bayer), ibuprofen (Advil) or naproxen (Aleve), which all can cause increased bleeding, according to Dr. Stiner. “In rare cases , there could be a small, undiagnosed bleed in the brain. Medications that increase bleeding can turn a small bleed into a major hemorrhage quickly.”

How to Treat a Closed Head Injury | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_2301456_trea...#ixzz20qNCTbHY

P.S. Champ, my son had suffered a skull fracture in a bike accident and he either didn't realize it was that bad or was too scared to say anything. I'm sure your injury is very mild and nothing even close to being severe as my son's, it is very unlikely that you have a bleed. NOT to worry!! I was just pointing out that you were right, ibuprofen IS contraindicated and it is certainly safer to not take it for a few weeks.

Last edited by MommaBear; 07-16-2012 at 10:25 PM. Reason: add PS
MommaBear is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote