View Single Post
Old 07-16-2012, 11:01 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Southblues...welcome!

Ditto to what everything Abby said...and I have a few more tidbits.

I am seroneg and borderline fail on the SFEMG and take between 180 and 240mg Mestinon per day (depends on weather..read this as how hot it is!...my level of activity, how much rest I got, etc.)

My point is my neuro said that anyone without MG could NEVER tolerate half that much Mestinon in a day!! If you are noticing positive differences in your overall ability to function (even if the eyelids are not responding perfectly), you probably have MG. And if you are taking 60mg x {any number of times per day} without increased weakness, you probably have MG.

Some other home tests you can try...

Ice Pack test
1) notice exactly where your eyelids are in relationship to your pupil when you look into the mirror straight on. Be sure to note any difference between the left and the right.

2) place an ice pack on one eye for a minute or two and then note where the eyelid is in relation to your pupil.

3) repeat with other eye

This is a classic clinical MG test...an MG'rs eyelid will be higher from the pupil after ice.

SMILE test
1) Do a full happy smile into the mirror when you get up in the morning and note where the corners of your mouth are. Do they curl up at the corners...how far?

2) Do the same thing about 45 - 60 min. after Mestinon

3) Then do it again before you take your second dose of Metinon later in the day.

MG'rs have much better smiles when they have Mestinon on board. (My hubby often asks me if it's 'time for a pill' based on my eyelids and or my frowny face. He's almost always able to tell before me that I'm running out.)

There are a few other home tests on the internet that you can google for -- but these are pretty easy ... and telling. There's a gotcha though. Rarely are two days the same..and sometimes things change within the day too. I've been dx'd for 3 years now, and still get surprised with new or different symptoms or responses.

Just know that if you ever have trouble breathing or swallowing, or feel short of breath, have trouble chewing or talking....it's not your imagination and it is a big deal. Rest immediately,,,and if breathing doesn't get better quickly,,,go to ER.
suev is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
southblues (07-18-2012)