View Single Post
Old 07-17-2012, 08:11 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi kaitlyn,

Welcome to the forum! I've had epilepsy for 40 yrs. and take my word your Dr. needs to do more than an e.e.g. on you to find out what's going on. The neuro should also do a CAT scan, MRI, and a PET Scan and SPECT scan these tests will show for sure what is going on in your brain and if you are having sz.
Alcohol, drug abuse, trama, stress,lack of sleep, difficulty at birth like lack of oxygen, a bad blow to the head, or a bad scare are the main things that can cause epilepsy along with family genes herditary, Also a high fever. If any of these thing relate to you it could be causing sz. for you.

My best advice to you is to see an Epileptologist at an Epilepsy Center. You can find them at University Hospitals or really big hospitals. An Epileptologist specializes in epilepsy and knows a lot more than any neuro I've ever seen.

I personally don't feel that the Dr. should take you off of any meds until they know for a fact that you don't have epilepsy. That could be to risky for you.
Hormones changing every month in a woman can often cause sz. because the progesterone level drops and the estrogen level goes up estrogen causes more excitment while progesterone calm the nerves.
The next time you have an e.e.g. as the Dr. to do a special e.e.g where the flash different color strobe lights one at a time this will show if you are photosensitive meaning certain colors are triggering sz.
If you are around a lot of people using cell phones or if you use a cell phone and a sz. starts up you may be cell phone sensitive. This is what I found out this past yr. Cell phones were triggering sz. for me do to the frequency they are in.
Cut back on starch foods and carbs. and stay away from nutra sweet this will cause more electrical activity in the brain and trigger sz. for many people I found this out after drinking diet soda.
Try taking vitamin B12 1000 mcg once a day and this should help you. I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue
Porkette is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote