View Single Post
Old 07-18-2012, 12:24 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srgallan View Post
Hi,

Forgive me if this has been asked before.

What is a PCS setback/relapse? Simply your brain saying slow down? Getting your "inputs" overwhelmed and having a temporary shutdown for repairs? Causing actual damage?

To be honest, I don't know anything about it just that it seems most everyone here including myself have had one if not many more setbacks.

Quick summary for me; I guess I am actually in 8 months of PCS contrary to my statement yesterday in some posts of 7 months. I had just started work again in June in an "ease-back" program. It was actually going quite well, my life was almost normal with little to no symptoms with the exception of neck issues which I am getting massage and chiro. I had just started 8 hour shifts of late and although felt tired or felt mild issues in the afternoon it was mostly ok.

I will admit a lack of consistent sleep due to our second child being born and like all babies take a toll on a parents sleep. She is pretty awesome and a very content baby I have to admit and my wife and I are very lucky to have her and her older brother.

Last week now, I suddenly got sore leg muscles, became very weak and shaky and suddenly my vertigo/motion sickness returned with some mild sound sensitivities and focus/concentration difficulties. Throughout my recovery I was actually always quite functional albeit very uncomfortable through symptoms that affected me more physically. My GP thinks it was a viral infection which most of the symptoms have gone away but the motion sickness and focus/sound sensitivities persist. I had no re-injury that I am aware of except the possibility of a virus and some sneezing due to allergies.

So what is a setback? As a sufferer of PCS are you in a weakened state and many possibilities can overwhelm your weakened state? Is this a constant to be expected? Do you cause more damage? Am I to cease many activities and wait to recover before resuming work and other? Is the brain forever sensitive or perhaps more selective in chance of whom completely recovers and who takes longer?

This was my first known concussion, I did play some spots when younger that sometimes led to be banged around ie: Judo and etc...cumulative injury perhaps?
Relapse only means your symptoms have recurred, something you already knew. The brain will be more prone to injury again after a cuncussion. Over stimulation can also cause a relapse, as can stress. Personally I think once PCS/D always that way. Does not mean we won't be productive or happy. It just means that we must be aware and consider that in our daily regime and accomadate it.

Hope you feel better.
rmschaver is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote