View Single Post
Old 07-18-2012, 06:24 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I'm guessing that different people have different connotations of 'relapse'. I've relapsed at least twice, and in both cases, there was absolutely no questioning whether I had a relapse; all of my symptoms became much worse very quickly and it took me months to get back to where I was prior to the relapse.

Aside from these relapses, I have what I call "setbacks," which typically last for a few days, and sometimes for a week or more. And then there are just "bad head days," as I call them. Usually setbacks and bad head days are caused by trying to do too much for too many days in a row, without taking enough breaks. They can also result from a night or two of inadequate sleep, and also from overstimulation. It takes very little to upset the balance. If you really overdo it for too long, you can end up with a relapse rather than a setback or bad day.

It's very important to remember to still take breaks even on the days when you're feeling better, so that you don't end up with a bad setback. In fact, even if you get to the point where you feel recovered, you should plan on always taking it easier than you have in the past. It will take much less to injure yourself again, and it doesn't take another blow to the head. Too much physical activity, stress, overstimulation, poor diet, and/or inadequate sleep can all build up and cause your symptoms to come back, even if they've been gone for awhile.

We all have to get used to being more careful and taking very care of ourselves from now on.
MommaBear (07-18-2012), Soccergal (07-31-2012), srgallan (07-29-2012)