Thread: Recovery Time
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2012, 11:05 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Message sent to me

I posted this in my reply so I could remember what the questions are! :P

Kayley,

It would be easier for others to help you if you posted about your current symptoms and struggles.

There are people who have recovered after a year or longer. Most who do have long left NT. The long term history of concussion recovery is not well documented.

What steps are you taking to help your brain recover?

What are the most important parts of your life that you want to resume?

If you care to answer, please post in a forum.

Mark

My most troubling symptoms are short term memory, headaches and neck pain. Walking into a room and thinking I remembered what to get and then leaving and realising I didn't need a pen, I needed a knife, something like that. Or going to class and not remembering the lesson from the day before. I've adjusted to making lists, planners and packing bags the night before to prevent issues but it still is sure frustrating! Right now, things are better than they were 9 months ago, but I'm sort of staying the same the last few months.

Headaches are every day, fluctuates in severity. Sometimes it is a dull ache, sometimes it's all day laying in bed in the dark. I've tried lots of things, I take amitryptiline (for headaches, to sleep). I've done massage, craniosacral, osteopath, physiotherapy, reflexology and I'm about to try acupuncture. Massage helps with the neck pain a bit, physio helped a lot with balance, vision exercises, cardio and neck pain. Nothing else really did anything.

Thanks for that point Mark, I guess most of the people done with concussions would leave this forum behind as well! Sometimes it is nice to hear progress from people even after say or year or more, to know it is possible.

Other than the osteopath, CST, etc I listed above, I've been eating healthier. More veggies, multivitamins, fishoil pills (Omega), cut out most sugar, caffeine. Cut out all items with aspartame, glutamate, all that chemically stuff that has been mentioned before in the forum. I've been taking it easy mostly. no school right now, very little work (3 hrs a week), sleeping in.

The most important things for me right now is to try to well get better of course. But, I am wanting to finish grade 12 next year. I haven't made set-in-stone plans on WHEN i'll go to university, but it is a plan sometime in the future. The last year of school was really tough, so with the help of the forum (food stuff to be aware of, support, etc.) and a better understanding of my limitations I hope to make this year a bit easier on me.

Sorry for all of the writing! It might be a lot but 9 months is hard to describe in short!
kayley is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote