View Single Post
Old 07-19-2012, 12:57 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Lots of online connections that will help

Jenren,

I am a mom too; I have a wonderful three year old boy. I have been symptomatic since my early thirties but hard to diagnose. My docs just observed me for four years.

There is some really good advice here. To add there is a YO forum at National Parkinson Foundation. It is a more warm fuzzies group where as here we are looking for answers and trying various natural therapies (based in research), so we mainly post info here - we are supportive here too just in a different way. The NPF also has great Ask the Doctor and Pharmacist forums.

I recently joined a very active group on FB for YOPD. FB also has a group there just for women with PD. You'll find it is quite different for us (thank you hormones). I have even met some people from these groups. There is nothing like meeting others who go through the same challenges as you.

You'll be in good company at any of these spots.

I know how devastating this all seems and you may slip in and out of denial. I think we all do it to an extent. I think the single most frustrating thing is the slow pace of research translation into the clinic and us. That being said, if there was a good time to be YO it is now. They know such much about the disease and there are really good treatments in research trials right now that look powerful enough to either stop the degeneration or at least slow it down.

Best advice is to get as much vigorous exercise as you can; meditate; avoid processed foods; socialize; and always see the silver lining.

Laura
Conductor71 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote