View Single Post
Old 07-19-2012, 12:13 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Kelly,

It makes me so angry that you waited to see this neurologist and not only doesn't he try to help you, but he hurts you! Can you change doctors? Can you see your primary care physician and get some pain medicine?

Can you call an advice nurse? Can you call the neurologist's office and tell them what happened?

Most neurologists here want to prescribe medicine, because that's all that they can do to help with PCS. They don't have a "cure".

I would have expected at the very least that he would have given you something for pain as well as something to try to prevent the headaches. Usually they try amitriptyline or nortriptyline to prevent the headaches. They have you try it and see if it helps. If it doesn't, they try something else.

In the meantime they give you either a prescription pain killer or something like Imitrex which is supposed to quickly get rid of a migraine if you take it right at the beginning of an attack.

I am the wrong person to speak to about medicines, because most of them give me horrible side effects. I do, however, have a prescription for Fioricet which does help me with pain.

And I would advise you to keep trying and keep advocating until you get someone who will listen to you and give you something for the pain. (And who will WORK with you until you find a combination that works for YOU!)

I also have something for the nausea of the migraine. When I get a really bad migraine, I get nauseous, and if I take Reglan, it helps the nausea and also helps to get rid of the migraine. However, Reglan can have lots of side effects, so I only take it if I am
desperate.

I know that Mark uses aspirin and tylenol together when he gets a headache, and he says that that works well for him. I also know someone who gets something over the counter here in the US that is called Excedrin Migraine, and it helps her.

Oh, I almost forgot. What has helped me when I am having a bad migraine is taking an ice pack and wrapping it lightly in a thin towel and putting it on the back of my head. If you try it, you can leave the ice pack on for twenty minutes, then take it off. If you still need it, you can wait for 15 or 20 minutes and try again.

I surely hope you find a doctor who is willing to treat you. I just don't understand what that neurologist was thinking!

Please let us know how you are doing.
ShellyK is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Mist8012 (07-19-2012)