View Single Post
Old 07-19-2012, 08:58 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default small fiber neuropathy supplements question

First of all, today is my first day joining this board and I just wanted to say hello to everyone. I've read quite a few posts on here over the last couple of days and have found this site to be informative, and perhaps more importantly, hopeful.

I have small fiber neuropathy. Diagnosed through skin biopsy. Considered idiopathic currently, but I have had some other issues recently...small pleural & pericardial effusions and positive ANA, and various other physical symptoms and the rheumatologist I am seeing is, in her word, "suspicious" of an autoimmune disease, she just hasn't been able to identify a smoking gun for a particular one yet. So, perhaps my SFN is headed towards being considered caused by an autoimmune disorder, instead of idiopathic, I don't know. I'm under the care of both a neurologist and rheumatologist.

My question involves supplements for SFN, specifically two...Acetyl-L-Carnitine and Lipoic Acid. What I'd like to get are others' opinions on the following:

1. Which one of the two do you think typically would be better at helping to treat SFN?

2. If I start taking them should I start them one at a time or both together?

3. Could you name some good brands to purchase? A few, just in case I run into trouble finding Doctor's Best, which I've seen mentioned several times on this site, at the Vitamin Shoppe.

Am having a really bad "flare" (gosh I hope to goodness it's just another flare) and am ready to start trying some new things for this wretched SFN. Am currently on gabapentin, which I just increased to 900 mg a day, and just recently began a 6 month trial with plaquenil.

Thanks in advance for any help with this, and again, nice to meet everyone.
davidl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote