View Single Post
Old 07-22-2012, 09:21 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmc1294 View Post
.... I had a nasty black eye from the fall that is finally almost gone. As the brusing and swelling subsided, I realized that my RT eyebrow and forehead (where I hit my head) is completely paralyzed. My eyebrow has subsequently dropped a bit and my eyelid is drooping. I assume this is from the accident?!? Could it be permanent? I am able to raise my LT eyebrow/forehead with no issues. I am really freaked out about this. And depressed. I am also having consistent mild to moderate headaches and don't feel myself - very "fuzzy". I know these symptoms are farily normal with PCS, but I can't find any information about the effect it's having on my RT eyebrow/forehead. The area where I hit my head is still a bit tender to the touch, but there doesn't seem to be any residual swelling.

I have an appointment with a Neuro on 8/15, but am trying to get into another office sooner. ANOTHER isssue is that I am scheduled to have surgery on 8/30 and am worried about going under anesthesia so soon after the concussion. Should I reschedule? Is there an acceptable timeframe for having surgery after a concussion?

Thanks so much!

My son had a severe TBI with black eyes, major brain surgery and another a month later to put his bone flaps back in. A couple weeks later he realized he couldn't raise one of his eyebrows, he just shrugged it off. When I asked him about it a few weeks later, it had cleared up. So my guess is that yours just needs more time to heal, no need to worry. About the surgery, it more depends on how you respond to anesthesia.

DO make sure the doctors know about your concussion, they might want to adjust the medication. In general it is possible your brain may be a little fuzzy / confused for a bit, or other PCS symptoms exacerbated for a little time. I'd guess if your surgery is one that can wait, like cosmetic, then wait. If it's medically necessary, then relax and take precautions like making sure you have plenty of help afterward.

This is just an "educated" guess going by my son's experience. Others may have different stories. Best wishes!
MommaBear is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote