View Single Post
Old 07-24-2012, 10:06 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaBear View Post
I'm curious about the therapeutic horseback riding. I've found a couple brain rehab places that utilize it, but I wonder how safe it is to teach such a risky thing to TBI survivors?? It seems awfully likely that sooner or later they could fall off and get another TBI. Not to mention that many first TBI's are obtained in a horseback riding accident.
...oohh did I just mention that?! I did, heheh... welllll I am curious about how they minimize the risks and all. ???
Riding horses is never without risk. They do minimize the risk as much as possible by only using well trained, calm horses, well trained staff and volunteers and through well maintained tack and safety equipment (helmets are mandatory).

Many riders in the programs do not ride independently, one volunteer will lead the horse and one or two will walk beside the rider and provide physical and emotional support as required.

The environment is as controlled as possible, usually within an arena or fenced outdoor ring, the footing is soft and shock absorbent. The horses are specially chosen for temperament and then time is spent training them to deal with adaptive equipment and the routine of therapeutic riding.

Anytime you get on a horse, you do run risk of falling, that's the nature of the activity. Occasionally riders do fall, but in 15 years of teaching daily, I never had a rider fall and require medical attention following a fall, with the exception of one rider that jumped prematurely off her horse, knocking her volunteer to the ground and landing on her feet, breaking an ankle.

The job of the volunteer(s) walking beside the rider is to help prevent falls and if a fall cannot be prevented, then at least minimized and brought softly to the ground.

My brain injury was caused by a fall from a horse. If I felt I would qualify for therapeutic riding, I would not hesitate to take part. There are many benefits to therapeutic riding and each individual has to weigh the risks versus benefits for themselves.

Starr
"Starr" is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
MommaBear (07-24-2012)